Re-creating PenGwyn has stark imagery, intricate & unexpected choreography and a playful juxtaposition between the subtle & the extreme.
Exploring ideas of isolation & self, four mesmeric performers journey though a shifting landscape – sometimes a stage, or a zoo, a house, or the artic. Habitual patterns are exposed, magnified & presented as detailed human function; drawing the voyeurs’ attention to the subtle connections & extreme emotion beneath the contained framework of the choreography.
Featuring four exceptional, diverse & internationally renowned dance artists, with ages from the mid twenties to mid forties. The collective company experience includes: Tanztheater Wuppertal Pina Bausch, Clod Ensemble, Protein, & Seke Chimutengwende amongst many others. Exquisite lighting and set design by Gerald Tyler.
‘Edgy, engaging’ ...
‘I didn’t want it to end’
— Wales Arts Review
‘A highly accomplished choreographic achievement’
— Nick Banwell, Borough Theatre
‘A thoroughly engaging, well-conceived piece’
— Deborah Keyser, Creu Cymru
‘The dancers were exceptional’ Patricia Vallis – Ballet Cymru’
‘Beautiful, arresting and wonderfully performed’
— Audience, Chapter Arts Centre
Arts Council of Wales, Borough Theatre, Chapter Arts Centre, Clwyd Theatr Cymru, Creu Cymru, Dance Blast, National Dance Company Wales
Currently available for UK and International touring
- Artistic Director Joanna Young
- Co-creators & Performers Kirsty Arnold, Miguel Do Vale, Scott Jennings, Caroline Sabin
- Lighting & Set Design Gerald Tyler
- Music James Neiss [Unknown], Yuko Nexus6 [Avec Hose, Berlin 1938, J’adore La Boucle #1, extract from J’adore La Boucle #3, Test Tone], Get The Blessing [Americano Meccano, Torque], Jamie McCarthy [extract from Arjona]
- Music Editor Gerald Tyler
- Project Mentor & Costume Sally Carlson
- Tour Manager Fran Mosley
- Publicity Design Marc Heatly
- Design R & D with Becky Davies
- The original PenGwyn was a 10 min solo, which was performed by & devised with Jacob Ingram Dodd for a Dance Shots commission in 2011. Original PenGwyn costume by Kate Bohin